Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How am i ever to land a man?

I'm in florida right now visiting my grandma. Surrounded by the land of the early bird special, the strip mall and chain restaurant I realized something about myself and about my family. We have different ideas of my future, and more importantly my future spouse. My grandma might claim she's hip [her way of excusing her sometimes distasteful comments] and modern [allowing her to use disparaging language] but deep down her 40s upbringing shows through.
My Grandmother prepared for my arrival like any grandma would, she started cooking 5 days before my brother and I arrived, but it was FRESH!
My grandma is what you would call "opinionated", always one to speak her mind even when its not wanted, appreciated or correct. She will tell you stories of "Bush; that crook", my uncle that "lunatic shit head", my father "the putz" etc. She loves my family, but she also loves to talk about everyone and tell you about it. I'm one of her favorite topics. Her only female grandchild, I am both her shining joy and her absolute shame. I am single, in my mid twenties [way too close to thirty for her book] and getting advanced degrees. One brings her extreme joy, the other extreme worry. She has no idea what I do or what I study [something in between social work and psychology in her mind] and every conversation we have always ends [because i hang up at this point] with her asking me if I've met someone.
She wants me to be Barbie, well educated, able to fly a plane, but settling for stewardess so I can get married and give her grandchildren. Granddaughter Barbie does not have short hair, and when she does, she is called a Dyke. So right now I have short hair. Its all bang, and i like it, but i have no interest to hear about why i cant land a man because of my hair.
so to fuck with her [what else would I do, I'm incorrigible] and also play into her issues i wore a wig down to see her. I love to play dress up. Its one of my fetishes. i own 4 wigs, many costumes, too much lingerie [that goes unused mind you] and enough make up to fill two drawers. and do not even try to count my accessories or my shoes. i have a problem, and that problem is that i dont have a "style" i have avatars. i can be goth, grunge, virginal, slutty, cheescake, modern, mod, hippie, etc you name it, i have something in my closet that will work with it.
so as we're driving from the airport back to her "villa" in her 50+ development she keeps on singing the praises of my beautiful long hair, how great the dye job is, how i should never change it and how the men must love it [always back to the men] she goes on and on about how gorgeous it is, and of course i keep it up for a little bit while my little brother is laughing in the backseat [also trying not to yak since my grandma every 5 min or so would just jerk the wheel hard to the right for no reason at all, "the car was driving to the left" she states] so finally i cant hold it in any longer, i pick the bangs up and show her the seam, where the wig hits my scalp. She cant believe it, etc etc. She lectures me on how wigs ruin your natural hair, how i should grow it like that length anyway and still talks about how fantastic it looks. i then tell her i have more than one wig, i have 4 and one of them happens to be pink.
"pink?!?" how will you ever land a man with pink hair? what type of man would like a woman who has pink hair?!?!
Ok, now I'm stumped. This is something I never thought would be a negative to any man i was courting. When did pink hair and wig wearing equal such match.com binaries like, "smoker", "divorced", political leanings and religious views? I dont want a man who cant handle me in pink hair and i never thought that would be an issue, i guess that shows the difference in the generations, or something deep and meaningful like that. I dress to make myself happy, and of course to appease the policing agent that is other women and their unhealthy ideals. In her generation it was about finding a husband so you can move out of your father's house and start having babies. I am not a cow nor do I need a dowry. And I am going to wear my wig until I'm a blue haired lady and live in my own 50+ community, and I'm sure I will be the most popular among the old men ;)

1 comment:

la ebria said...

whatevs i beat you to being a blue haired lady!!