Thursday, April 17, 2008

A lil' Jesus

I received an email the other day. It was a forward that was sent to me twice by two different groups of college friends. It was an email from a girl who is now engaged to an alumnus of my undergraduate institution. It was two detailed emails she sent her friends about how she met her now fiancĂ© and how he proposed. There were tons of Jesus references and they both apparently really love God. He proposed by quoting her scripture. Now, don’t get me wrong, this is definitely not the way I see my proposal going, if someone started quoting bible versus to me, they would be met with a blank stare and wonderment in my part about how we got this far as a couple. But it really bothered me. I was excited when I received this now viral forward that has been sent through her undergraduate institution, their alumni as well as mine. I was expecting something incredibly damaging, but then once I read it, I just felt dirty.
I want to be able to practice me sexual life in private (well besides blogging) and the fact that people from both of their colleges as well as random friends throughout the continental United States and I’m sure some Western European countries now know the most special and private moment of their lives together. Yes she called her friends her “soul sisters” and yes he did quote scripture in his proposal, and yes she is waiting until marriage to have sex which explains why they have only been dating for seven months, but that’s up to them. There were comments attached to this email from people who had forwarded it, chiming in on her religiosity and stupidity. I participated in this sort of thing in high school and college, public shaming of people’s private lives, and I’m not doing it as an adult. And I thought my friends were bigger than that too, I guess not.
The comments by random people who are not part of their lives are despicable; people mentioning their divorce, how funny this is, how you will need a barf bag to read her obviously happy email concerning what to her is probably the happiest day of her life.

Little excerpt:
"Bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh."

These words were the first words Adam said to Eve (Genesis 2:23). The first words spoken from a man to his wife. Essentially saying, God has made you to be a part of me and me to be a part of you.


I think its quite lovely and I can only think about what these two are going through now that they know that they are being publicly mocked for their belief in God and their desire to be together. It’s not my cup of tea, but if I want my sexual choices accepted I will accept the choices of others. This includes the pregnant man on Oprah and his family to this religious couple who want to celebrate their love by saying it was God’s will. I don’t want to sound like I am scolding my friends, or lose them because I refuse to participate in this sort of behavior anymore, but I am not about humiliating people for their choices no matter what side of the spectrum they fall under.

1 comment:

la ebria said...

Couldn't agree with you more...yay positive outlook!