Saturday, September 1, 2007

A look back




I LOVE pinup culture, love it. I think it was the heyday of true femininity, yet so obviously feminist. They were adorable, and coy and incredibly ironic. the perfect mix of feminine wiles with oozing sex appeal. I love the clothes and the attitude. Tons of red lips and curled hair. It looks like so much work, so mich prepping, how did people ever get work done when they had to spend that much time on their hair?! But it is fantastic, when women were seen as gorgeous because they had curves, not that waiflike prepubescent nonsense. Just give me one Jean Harlow over these skinny actresses now.
Vargas girls were just sexy enough to be naughty but nothing too risque. The pictures of Betty Paige are fantastic, she makes all that bondage look so innocent and real. No air brushing, just real women doing naughty things looking like women. There is a sense of vulnerability and innocence, even though its sex appeal is so obvious! If I can be anything in my life I would dream to be a Marilyn, Jane, Betty, Jean, Briggite, or a Mae.

Take this quiz:
I got betty paige and could not be happier.
http://www.blogthings.com/whatfamouspinupareyouquiz/


and check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin-up_girl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me the charm of old pin-ups, Elvgen and the like is the mix of sensual delight in the surface and innocence. I miss the times when you could look at a pretty girl and see just beauty as you do with a rose or sunset. No pressure to think of copulation, just delighted admiration.